There are many different types of accommodation in Lyon and the surrounding area: CROUS university residences, private university residences, apartment rentals (via estate agents or private individuals), flat or house shares, renting a room, etc.
Exchange students have access to the Lyon III International Association that provides students with assistance in finding accommodation in the CROUS university residences, private residences or with a host family.
It serves as a useful link between students and the residences. There is a basic service fee of 20€. Added costs include: 30€ application fee and 350€ deposit (compulsory reservation deposit that will be reimbursed at the end of your stay).

Finding accommodation in Lyon can be difficult, especially at certain times of the year like the start of term in September. So it’s a good idea to start looking before you arrive in Lyon and to plan temporary accommodation on your arrival if you haven’t found anywhere to live yet (hotel, youth hostel, etc.).

Types of accommodation and useful links
University residences managed by CROUS
A pplications for accommodation in university residences are made every year online on the CROUS website, between 15 January and 30 April, through the Student Social File (DSE). You can also apply for accommodation during the year.
>>> Find out more
This student housing centre managed by CROUS offers housing solutions in university residences, private housing, and flat and house shares throughout France.
>>> Find out more

Flat or house shares
Flat and house shares are a very popular accommodation solution for students. Find tips and shared accommodation sites on the Lyon Campus website.

Other types of accommodation
You also have other options: renting a room in a private home, private accommodation via estate agents or private individuals, accommodation in private university residences or solidarity housing (intergenerational housing, for example).
>>> For more details, take a look at the information on the Lyon Campus website.

Housing Insurance (assurance habitation)
Housing insurance is compulsory in France, therefore, in order to find a place to live, students are required to take out housing insurance as soon as they arrive in the country. It covers public liability required by students to validate their enrolment at Jean Moulin Lyon 3 University.

► Start looking for a place to live before you arrive
► Book temporary housing if necessary
► Subscribe to housing insurance (mandatory)

Other useful websites

  • CRIJ Rhône-Alpes: Youth information website for the Rhône-Alpes area, with practical information and offers relating to various aspects of young people’s lives
  • ADIL Rhône - ADIL Ain: Departmental Housing Information Agency
  • CLLAJ Rhône-Alpes: Local committees addressing independent housing for young people in the Rhône-Alpes area
  • UNCLLAJ: National union of local committees addressing independent housing for young people. Help and advice for your housing search.
  • In Bourg-en-Bresse: Bourg-en-Bresse Student Centre

Rent Assistance

As a student, it is very likely that you will be able to benefit from housing assistance.* This allowance is paid monthly, but it will take about two months for you to receive the first payment. It is means tested and if you meet the requirements, the CAF (French Fund for Family Allowances) can help you. The request for housing assistance must be made online on the CAF website (where you can also simulate your estimated housing assistance).

*If your visa states “temporary exemption from residence permit” you will not be able to benefit from CAF housing assistance.

>>> View all the details on the CAF website