• Incoming mobility,

Coming to study in France after Brexit

Published on February 2, 2021 Updated on February 2, 2021

On 1 January 2021, the United Kingdom officially left the European Union. From now on, British students are considered as third country nationals and new conditions are therefore applied to them when they enter French territory.

Although the United Kingdom has decided to end its participation in the Erasmus+ exchange programme, mobility between the United Kingdom and France remains possible. British students wishing to pursue part of their studies in France can do so under the new arrangements.

What changed on 1 January 2021 for British students wishing to come to France?

Exchange students

Since 1 January 2021, British nationals have been subject to more thorough checks. Travellers from the UK are advised to carry a passport and to arrive at the border crossing in advance to travel to the EU, where they will have to use the “third country nationals” queue instead of the “EU / EEA / CH” queue.

What changes in practice:
  • Students who do not have resident status in an EU Member State and who wish to travel to France for a short stay and students in transit to another EU Member State or Schengen Area country do not need a visa after 31 December 2020.

    They must:
    - present their passport, which will be stamped on entering and leaving the Schengen Area. The length of their short stay must not exceed 90 days in any 180-day period;
    - be able to justify that they have sufficient resources to support themselves during their stay. The minimum amount of resources required in France is normally set at 65 euros per day;
    - possess an insurance certificate covering all medical, hospital and death expenses that may be incurred throughout their stay in France, including the cost of repatriation on medical grounds.

    The supporting documents used to verify compliance with the entry conditions are listed in Annex I of the Schengen Borders Code, available via the following link.
  • British nationals wishing to settle in France (stay of more than 90 days) must contact the French Embassy or a French consular authority to apply for a long-stay visa before arriving in France. This visa will be requested when they arrive in France.

Individual students

For the current enrolment campaign (academic year 2020-2021), the procedure remains unchanged. British students wishing to enrol in the first year of a Bachelor’s degree will still be able to enrol via the Parcoursup platform and can continue to enrol as before for Master’s or PhD programmes. Enrolment procedures are described on the Campus France website.

What’s changing in practice for British students and enrolment procedures:
  • New arrivals to France must now apply for a long-stay visa. They will therefore be able to enter the country under an exception to the border closure, on presentation of an international travel certificate.
  • For the academic year 2021-22, British students will be partially exempted from paying the differentiated fees for non-European international students. They will therefore be subject to national enrolment fees. For more information, see the relevant page.