Lyon is a large city and finding the right accommodation can sometimes be difficult. It is a good idea to start looking for a place to live before you arrive and, if necessary, book some temporary accommodation until you find something permanent.
There is a variety of accommodation options for you to choose from:
  • CROUS university residences
  • Private university residences
  • Apartments (via real estate agents or privately)
  • Share houses
  • Homestays
Exchange students have access to the Lyon III International Association that provides students with assistance in finding accommodation in the CROUS university residences, private residences or with a host family.
It serves as a useful link between students and the residences. There is a basic service fee of 20€. Added costs include: 30€ application fee and 350€ deposit (compulsory reservation deposit that will be reimbursed at the end of your stay).

There are a number of useful housing organisations that may also help you in your search:

Public service that is available to answer any questions relating to student life, in particular applications for university residences.
University residence applications can be submitted online each year between 15 January and 31 May.
  • Share houses | Net³> Vie étudiante > Logement
The University’s Student Services Office provides a list of available shared housing, available via the student intranet Net³ from July to the end of September.

Student-housing service that offers various types of accommodation.
Lyon organisation that helps students every step of the way, from organising accommodation, to residence permits and general daily needs.

A Rhône-Alpes youth information website that provides useful information and various offers.
Website that can provide a number of useful tips whilst you are looking for a place to live.

Housing Tax (taxe d’habitation)

In France, residences are subject to a housing tax that is calculated according to the amount of rent paid by the student. As a general rule, this amount is around the equivalent of one month’s rent (this can vary depending on the suburb you live in). This tax is due on the 1 January, the year following the beginning of your tenancy. As a result, you may receive a tax assessment notice once you have already returned to your home country.

Housing Insurance (assurance habitation)
Housing insurance is compulsory in France, therefore, in order to find a place to live, students are required to take out housing insurance as soon as they arrive in the country. It covers public liability required by students to validate their enrolment at Jean Moulin Lyon 3 University.

Rent Assistance (aide au logement)
As a student in France you can benefit from receiving rent assistance*. This payment will appear in your account each month, but note that it will take approximately two months before you start receiving payments.

After having signed your rental contract, you can start your rent assistance application online. You will need to fill out a form, print and send it off along with any other documents required. If you are not a European citizen, you will also need to send a photocopy of both sides of your valid residence permit.
For any enquiries, visit the Caisse d’Allocation Familiale (CAF)
*If you have a visa with a temporary residence card exemption you are not eligible to receive rent assistance payments from CAF.

Accommodation expenses

Fees and charges (frais de dossier)
You may be charged a reservation fee for certain residences and apartments. These fees vary between residences and agencies and cover costs related to the management of the property, the state of the property upon your arrival and departure, repair work to communal areas, etc.

Deposit (caution)
You will be required to pay a deposit for your rental property, which will cover any potential costs relating to damage to the property or unpaid rent. This sum usually amounts to one or two month’s worth of rent and should be paid when the contract is signed and before moving into the residence. Your deposit will be reimbursed within the two months following your departure (if the state of the property has been deemed satisfactory).

Moving In & Moving Out

Landlord (bailleur)
Owner of the property.

Rental contract and lease (contrat de location, bail)
A binding document that outlines the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.

Property Inspection (états des lieux)
When you move into your residence, the owner or real estate agent will conduct an inspection of the property. This will serve as an inventory of the state of the residence and any property such as dishwashers, furniture, etc. The inventory should be as precise as possible to avoid any litigation occurring at the end of the tenancy and must be drawn up upon the arrival and before the departure of the tenant.

Departure notice (préavis)
When it comes time for you to move out, you will need to hand in your departure notice to your landlord so that he/she can arrange to end your lease. This letter can be sent by registered post and should specify when you intend to leave the residence. Departure notices must be given in advance and their timeframe is subject to the conditions of the rental contract.

The Students Welcome Desk (SWD)

The Students Welcome Desk welcomes students to Lyon every year. Between September and October, a multilingual team helps students settle into life in Lyon and provides information on:

  • Residence permit renewal
  • Organising accommodation
  • Rent assistance (organisation of application forms)
  • Student job offers
  • Culture and leisure
  • Health
  • Transport